Monday, January 13, 2014

The Candle Which Burns Twice As Bright...

Another play has come up in my area. Not only am I interested in auditioning, but it is a musical, which is part of my bucket list. It only seems natural that I should audition for it, right? I mean, I've hit up every audition that has been available since last April, so why stop now.

Unfortunately, I'm not as excited for this audition as I would've originally expected. So much so to the point that I am not even 100% certain if I will audition for it. While I have no doubts that it would be an amazing experience and it would be truly exciting and engaging, and I would meet new wonderful people and get the chance to work with others I already know and love within the local theater community, I can't help but wonder if I'm filling my plate too full already.
Sure, while I was doing Jack the Ripper, or even Dearly Departed, my time was well filled with other activities as well. It's no mystery that I was working on Round 10, schooling, a full-time retail job, and juggling a number of other relationships all while trying to make rehearsals, balance my dwindling funds, and craft a wonderful theater experience for myself. However, there are a number of definite changes that have happened since this last play, and now.

First, I have set real goals for myself. Where once the release of Round 10 was a semi-vague future event towards which I strode with faltering certainty, now it is a very real thing, with necessary follow-up and updates. Along with that come the fact that I have one book waiting to be revised and published, another one in the writing phase that should be ready for release around the same time as the Zimildran Sourcebook for R10, and a second, early-morning job. And now I have added an amazing and uplifting relationship to my life that I want to devote as much time to as I can.

So how on earth would I fit a full musical play into all of this? Realistically it would be better saved for the future, when my time may open up a bit more and allow for such intensive activities. That is the practical side of me talking.

But when will that be? The number of products I want to release from Round 10 Gaming grows by the week, and the amount of work I need to do, not only for the role-playing game but also for my other writing projects, grows as well. When you're the sole developer and producer for an entire line of tabletop gaming products, you've got a lot riding on your shoulders. Not to mention the need to build contacts, and funds, for future illustrations of projects, as well as time devoted to layout work and marketing. My plate is well full, and it looks like it will remain full for some time.

So should I bite the bullet, audition now, and just see if I can cram another activity into my fairly full schedule? My brain-power only goes so far, and I don't want to burn myself out, but at the same time, that'd be another item off of my bucket list. Or should I save myself the stress, anxiety and concern and let this audition pass by? There will be others, and perhaps down the road one will open up for me.

I simply don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment