Sunday, March 3, 2013

Acting & Time

In a short while here, I will be heading back to the college to audition for a role in the play "Glass Menagerie" and I must say I am at once frightened and excited. It was a difficult decision to come to, whether or not I should go for it, but in the end I decided that I would be kicking myself if I didn't at least try.

My primary concern was, if by some great miracle I did get one of the two parts in the play, that the timing for rehearsals would be quite invasive. I work full-time, and the nature of my job doesn't really allow me to put a lot of effort into a consistent commitment like a play, at least not while also going to classes and juggling other social commitments as well. Yet I ended up falling on the decision that I want to do this play, I want to at least attempt it, and I wasn't going to let my job hold me back from that experience.

One thing I came to realize after this last holiday season was that I run the risk of working myself too hard. My job, while definitely having its perks, also has a lot of responsibility to it, responsibility that increases exponentially during the fourth quarter of the year. Knowing that this time of year, late Spring-ish, is generally my slower time, I figured that I better take any and every opportunity that presents itself to me. I mean, I'm tired of looking back on parts of my life and regretting the chances I never took. So I've been trying to take more chances, and while that hasn't always worked out for the best in this last year, at least I'm not left wondering. Certainty is something that was never really part of my life until about the last two months or so.

Auditioning for this play, along with all of the other things I've been posting about and working on, are, at the very least, a sure sign that I'm not only looking forward with my life, but moving forward. And that, in the end, is all that I can ask for.

2 comments:

  1. Let me know how the audition goes! And if you get the part, when the performance will be! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly! I'm sure everyone will hear of it. I am not very good at containing my excitement.

      Delete